Sunday 22 April 2007

300 - Movie Review


It's been out a few weeks, and I only recently got a chance to see it, with a male friend.
I make reference to the fact that my companion was male, because 300 is perhaps the most homoerotic film I've seen.


And I've seen Brokeback Mountain.

This isn't a problem for me, however I was somewhat disconcerted when my partner placed his hand on my knee during a battle scene. (Joking)

Shot in a noir style, 300 is loosely based on the battle of Thermopylae, where it seems, many semi-naked men fought the forces of darkness. Forces of darkness led by a slightly girly, Xerxes.

King Leonidas, the main character of the film, is played by Gerard Butler, a fairly unknown actor, whose body (like every male in the film) is unfairly muscular. I looked down at my extra-large bag of minstrels..then at the empty pack of wotsits by my feet.

I've never felt so inadequate, physically, as when I was watching 300. The closest I've come to a 6 pack, was a 5-pack of Mars bars.

Anyways, the film itself had sex (various positions), violence (bloody, yet comical) and excruciatingly goodlooking men, shouting loudly. If you're male, you'll enjoy this film for the shouting, and visually stunning battle-scenes. I know I did. Having spoken to a number of female friends, they seemed to like it for the fact that Gerard Butler wore nothing more than loin-cloth for the entire 120 minutes.

Overall, the film's definitely watchable; however, if your bag is history...you might find it sacrilegious!

2 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

This was an excellent review. Now I know what movie to take my Greek boyfriend to. Thanks so much Cal! ~ Dann

23 April 2007 at 00:44

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry about the six-packs. they weren't real - airbrushing is a god send :D

30 July 2007 at 00:56

 

Post a Comment

<< Home