Friday 11 January 2008

Missed Opportunities

I was in town today, minding my own business, wearing my hood up and my headphones in. As I passed the market, a pretty young woman bounded up to me, and in a slightly American accent asked:

"Could I ask you a question?"

I took a headphone out of my ear, and lowered my hood. She'd caught me completely off-guard; what would she want? Endless possibilities ran through my head as I looked vacantly into her face.

"Wasn't that a question?"

"What?" She clearly hadn't heard me, or else she'd have found this hilarious, I'm sure.

"I'm really busy...sorry" I mumbled, as I pulled on my hood and stalked away. Before I turned, I saw her face - she wore an expression of confusion and slight sadness. Had I done the right thing? Maybe she'd spotted me across the road, and felt an irrational attraction to me...maybe she wanted money.

I walked for a few more minutes, before stopping. Spinning on the spot, I strode back to the market, and found the original spot she'd accosted me at. I walked up behind her, and tapped her on the shoulder.

"Excuse me" I said quietly. She turned round, and looked bewildered when she saw who it was.

"Er, yes?" She looked around, seemingly making there'd be witnesses to whatever it was I was about to do.

"I was a bit rude to you earlier, you know, when you asked if you could ask a question? I'm not even that busy... what did you want to ask?" My heartbeat quickened as I imagined the infinitely exciting possibilities of her reply.

"Oh, I was just going to ask if you wanted to buy a phone cover for £7.99. Do you?"

"No. Not really, sorry" I replied, before turning away... a bitter tear in my eye.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww :(
i always think i'm getting chatted up by those charity street fundraisers, it's like 5 minutes before i realise they're holding a clipboard, lol.

29 January 2008 at 18:50

 

Post a Comment

<< Home