Monday 30 April 2007

The Devil Wears Prada - Review


I'm trying to watch a film a day; so far I'm two-for-two, which I'm sure you'll agree is pretty impressive. Today, I chose the somewhat girly-looking "The Devil Wears Prada."

From the offset, the cover art made me wince. As someone who often is impaled on dancefloors by dangerously sharp high-heels; just looking at that shoe (to the left) brings a tear to my eye.

In a nutshell, it's about Andrea (Anne Hathaway) who gets a job with an unbelievably horrible boss (Meryl Streep). Over the course of a few months, she is bullied by her machiavellian mentor (and the rest of her colleagues), and yet refuses to quit.

On the surface, the plot would appear a bit vapid and shallow, but after a while the characters grew on me. Stanley Tucci (one of my heroes) plays a brilliant role as a camp art director who "pretended to go to football practice when [he] was really at sewing club". He steals the show in my book, and while Anne Hathaway plays her role convincingly, Tucci and Meryl Streep make the film.

It's not exactly a mind-bender, and after an hour and a half, I can only be thankful I don't work with anyone as nasty as Andrea's co-workers (I don't have a job..whatever..) Despite the slightly weak plot (and a slightly irritating boyfriend), TDWP made me smile and ultimately left a lasting impression on me:

Never work in fashion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home