Sunday 29 April 2007

Rear Window - Review


I've had this film in my collection for a little while now, but I'd never got around to watching it...perhaps the premise (an invalided James Stewart looks out of his window for 6 weeks) left me a little cold, but the Sunday boredom hit, and I whacked it on.

The film starts slowly, introducing charming character after charming character; Stewart is one of my favourite actors, he appears in "To Kill a Mockingbird" which is well worth a watch. Grace Kelly plays the love interest, and does it stunningly, both in looks and performance.


While the acting is impeccable, the plot seems to revolve around the fact that nobody in L.B Jefferies' (James Stewart) neighbourhood EVER seems to close their curtains. Even if they're murdering their wife.

That said, if you train yourself to suspend reality for about two hours; this film is a stunning piece of work.

Jefferies, in his wheelchair due to a broken leg, can do nothing but spy on his neighbours through his abnormally large rear window.

The first half an hour burns slowly, but it gradually climbs to a peak which is well worth the wait. Suspense is what this movie is about; my interest was kept by the increasing sense of foreboding (and Grace Kelly's hotness) and I could feel my heart beating faster on a number of occasions (probably something to do with Miss Kelly again...)

The combination of drama and sex appeal made this film an instant favourite for me; and having Raymond Burr (Detective Ironside...you know, the detective in the wheelchair) plays a great baddie.

And he'd have gotten away with it if he'd just closed his FREAKING CURTAINS!

2 Comments:

Blogger Trump said...

This is my all time favourite film of all time! I agree that the curtain thing is a bit of a wonky plot enabler, but it's brilliant all the same. There's even one point where Grace Kelly leans to kiss Jimmy Stewart and she is, at that point, the most beautiful person I've ever seen.

7 May 2007 at 22:36

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I've watched it 3 times in the last week! It's one of those films that I miss so much in the first few watchings.

Grace Kelly was divine. She's pretty much the epitome of beauty, in my opinion..

7 May 2007 at 22:42

 

Post a Comment

<< Home