Friday 27 April 2007

Hot Fuzz - A Review

Ever since I saw Shaun of the Dead, when it came out a few years ago, I've thought about the endless possibilities of genre-combination that are open.... After all, SOTD was a Rom-Zom-Com..

How about a Historical action comedy? (A Hist-Act-Com, if you will)

Yeah...I'm drying up on the old ideas front now.....

Comedy action? Well cack mostly. Let's face it, there's very few good ones...

...Until Hot Fuzz came along.
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have teamed up again with Edgar Wright to cross the invisible borders between the genres. These borders have, in the past, and probably with continue into the future, created shockingly bad films.. I recently saw a film called "The Rookie".. I don't want to talk about it.

This isn't really a review is it? I'd better get back on track: the first 30 minutes set the scene in a Midsomer Murders-meets-24 style; rapid scene changes and swooshy cut-aways left me a little epileptic. That said however, the plot settles down, and its satisfying twists and turns kept me more interested in the screen than my rather attractive cinema-going companion. (She, like my partner to 300 attempted to put her hand on my knee...it was swatted away. There's a time and a place for that sort of thing; perhaps during the new Mr Bean movie..)

You can tell that the comedy trio have watched a LOT of action films...apart from the obvious references to Point Break and Bad Boys 2, my favourite reference was to Shaun of the Dead.

"Want anything from the shop?"
"Cornetto."

It's small nuances like that (you won't recognise it unless you've seen Shaun of the Dead...sorry) that made this film brilliant on so many levels; the comedy linked smoothly with the comedy, and the gay undertones gave a slightly romantic interest.

Loved it.

1 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

another brilliant review! re: not being parsed properly, this is because new blogger is based on XML rather than HTML coding. My advice is to change your blog to the classic style (I believe it's under Template but you may have to go hunting). Then, blogger will not hate you for using old style layouts.

28 April 2007 at 02:21

 

Post a Comment

<< Home